6.19.2005

Kung Faux

I was watching TV Saturday night and I was flipping around the stations when I came across this show called "Kung Faux." Here's the description of the show from the on-screen guide: "Classic kung-fu movies are re-cut and mixed with a variety of rap songs and video-game graphics." I thought to myself, "This might be interesting." I like kung fu films, I enjoy Asian culture and this just happened to be on AZN Television (television for Asian-Americans apparently), there are a number of rappers out there with respect for kung-fu movies, so why not give it a try.
No matter what you might be expecting from this show, it's nothing like the real thing. This show was the funniest damn thing I've seen in a while. The voice acting is what does it. There's all of these Asian men and women running around talking full-out gangsta and kicking each other's asses in between.
The way the show is cut got on my nerves a bit, they kept splitting the screen into different colors... Again, even this is hard to explain, or imagine without seeing it for yourself. There is a link that shows a few video clips, but I can't link to it for you. If you can't find it on the site I linked to above, it's down toward the bottom by the ninja head. Some of the clips are from the episode that I caught, "Boxcutta."
Just to give you an idea of some of the dialogue:
(During a fight scene when a new opponent steps in.) "Hold up. I thought I was fighting Money in the under-roos."
(During a death scene) "I got a wedgie."
(A scene where a friend is morning a death.) "I told him not to fight, because it was my movie. He should have listened to me, because it is my movie."
There's more good stuff in the clips.

EDIT: I did a search for Kung Faux on my digital cable listings and found out it airs 10-10:30pm CT on Saturday. Here in Houston AZN is channel 75... I have no idea what it is anywhere else.

1 comment:

Kosmo said...

yeah, i was looking through the listings for shows on AZN and it didn't have it listed as regular program. maybe i got lucky and caught a one time thing? there's a dvd available through amazon though.