1.08.2009

The Difficulty With Innovation

For those of you that don't know, I'm a bearded man. I've had this beard for many years now. It's varied in length and there were a few times where I thought it'd be a "good" idea to shave it off. I realized my mistake quickly, though. I just don't feel like myself unless I have a beard now. I'm sure that would change over time if I ever decide to shave daily, but that's not happening any time soon.

I do encounter some trouble with this beautiful face of fluffy fuzz. It is difficult to keep it from getting too unruly. When I start trimming it I have to readjust the length constantly. Because I screw it up and cut a little too much off in an area and have to compensate. I have an electric trimmer and that trimmer has a guard that allows me to adjust to different lengths, but sometimes it slips. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've got.

Another problem I have is controlling all of the trimmings from getting into every nook and cranny of my sink. I can't avoid this if I wish to keep my beard manageable. It must be trimmed. Luckily, I thought of a simple solution. I take a large towel and drape it over my sink to catch it all. It's a great little system and it keeps me from washing it all down the drain, creating a possible clog.

I failed to think about what I'd do with all the clippings once I had them all corralled in the towel though. I have a tiny trash can that doesn't all ow me to dump them in there. I tried the toiled, but then I ended up with trimmings all over my toilet seat and the surrounding floor. I also shook it out, for some reason, to get as many hairs as I could out of the towel before washing it. That didn't help the problem with the strays littering my toilet.

Innovations always have room for improvement.

No comments: