4.24.2008

My Dad is 50

So the old man turned 50 on Earth Day. I'm sure you're wondering why I didn't write about it on the day, and my response is, "Because a while back I mentioned that I would not be writing about people's birthdays on this blog, jackass." This is the point you remember every word I've ever written here and apologize whole-heartedly...

Good.

I wanted to do something really memorable for him, like I wanted to do when he turned 40 and my parents celebrated their 25 anniversary, but I couldn't think of anything, like the other events I failed to come through on. It's not that I don't care about my parents, it's just that I tried to think through their response to each plan I came up with. And I always tried to come up with something on my own. I think I discussed what to do for the 25th anniversary with my brother, but that might have been once. I wanted to just come up with the idea and then tell everyone what we're doing. I've been taking this online test to determine how much of my brain I use (which isn't an accurate test but I get to compare my scores with friends so it's fun in that respect) and it says that I've got a very analytical mind. I believe it's this overly-analytical mind that gives me such trouble when trying to plan anything. Constantly second-guessing all the outcomes makes it nearly impossible to decide on one.

So, this year I got him the complete series of "Monty Python's Flying Circus" on DVD. I've gotten him a few DVDs that I know he's highly praised for various events in the past, but I also know that he doesn't usually get around to watching them. So, I'm not sure why I keep doing it. Maybe I just keep thinking it will change and he'll sit and watch them sometime. My mom is similar, but she just can't sit still for very long. I think it's due to RLS, which I had a small bout with but changed my caffeine intake and it seemed to go away. Maybe it's just a generational thing. Not that I don't think he liked the gifts, though. I mean, it's Monty Python. I believe you would find their definition in the dictionary, or encyclopedia entry, is "See hilarity". That's a fact.

No comments: