1.14.2006

Priorities Change, Dreams are Put on Hold With Easy-Listening to "Help" Pass the Time

So a week ago I was helping a friend move into a new apartment. (I could say who, but I like to pretend I'm writing to a larger audience where the anonymity of family and friends would be necessary so fans don't start chasing them down in order to get in touch with me.) I didn't really do all that much moving, or helping in any way for that matter. By the time I got there most of the stuff was unloaded and after that I just sat on the couch watching people do work. Perfect for management.
Later on that night there was a conversation between a son and father, who will remain nameless, about music. I tried to figure out what they were saying, but... Well, I don't know a damn thing about musical terminology except for pitch, rhythm and tempo so what I heard was Latin for all I knew. As I was lying on the couch that night I began to think about how cool it was to see a father and son talk about a mutual interest that is in such a creative field. Then I thought about the stuff my father and I talk about. It's turned into mostly business related things since he works in an office and I'm close to graduating with a business degree. If it's not about that it's about the movies that are on TV. "Ever see this one?" "No, but I've heard ____ about it."
Now I'm not saying that our conversations are boring, it's just that when I was younger an office job was the last thing I wanted. I wanted to spread my creative wings, horrible cliche but that's all I got, and not be stuck in a cubicle for 8 or 9 hours a day remembering to put a cover sheet on my TPS reports. I guess that I should also add that by when I say "younger" I'm referring to four years ago and more.
I can't be a starving artist or even a poorly fed one. I need the stability that comes from working 9 to 5 just to make a living. I can't live by waiting for a phone call from my agent telling me if I was rejected by some publisher, gallery, or casting director. At least I can do something in my free time to release these ideas that flow through my mind. I just don't want to end up spending my day in the cube and then hanging out with the guys and talking about nothing but work. Or if I am it better be about how to plant a virus in the accounting software like in "Office Space."

No comments: