10.05.2005

Obviously, You're Not a Golfer

For the past few weeks I've been trying to remember the reason I started letting my hair grow long and why I was determined to keep this thick patch of hair over my chin. I'm surprised the thoughts never came up over the summer when the lack of extra hair might have helped keep me cooler. As I was stuck in traffic today the answer came to me from an unexpected source, a bumper sticker. This car in front of me had two stickers that brought the quest to look like a bum back to light. The first said, "This aggression will not stand, man." The other, "The Dude abides..." Well, if you didn't get it from the first one the second should have been much more clear. Unless you don't like funny movies. Then you're just completely fucking lost.
There are two men whose lifestyles I find to be on par with zen masters. One of those men is Jeff Lebowski, better known as "The Dude". The other is Kramer of Seinfeld. (NO! Not Kenny Kramer who the character is based on. The Michael Richards version) That's right. I guess the "zen master" label fits more with The Dude. Kramer is more of an eccentric genius. Now since this is the real world, there is no way that a contributing member of society can actually get away with living like these two. If I could I'd do it in a second, but that's just not possible.
Actually, this whole thing was just about the bumper stickers. In fine print underneath the quotes was a website, LebowskiFest.com. I went there tonight to see what it was all about and it's pretty much what I expected. A bunch of people bowling, drinking, and quoting lines from the film as they are wearing costumes to look like their favorite characters. Anyway, it looked interesting and now you have an idea as to why there is a link featuring Nixon in a bowling stance over on the left.

No comments: