10.10.2005

A is For Aardman Animations... And Ashes

Nick Park and his creations.  Courtesy of CNN.Damn. I can't believe that the past of Wallace and Gromit are nothing more than a pile of ash. Those were some great movies and I've watched them all a number of times. Some times I just sat and admired the time it took into making such a smooth flowing stop-motion short. So many other stop-motion shorts can look like absolute crap because of choppy captures, but these were all done so well that there was never a choppy feel to it.
The thing that I find truly amazing about all of this is that Nick Park was able to put the entire thing into perspective. He didn't think it was the end of the world, not when tens of thousands of people died within one day because of a natural disaster. If it were me I'd be so pissed off about losing all of that I wouldn't be able to make coherent sentences. But I do tend to hoard my belongings and have a hard time throwing things away, even seemingly worthless crap. Some how I find a reason to hold onto it just a little longer or think I might need it sometime down the road. Needless to say, I've got lots of crap lying around.
Hopefully Aardman Animations can recover from this and get back to making terrific, inventive shorts for the world to enjoy. I don't think they'll have any trouble with it.

No comments: