10.14.2006

All Things Must

I just read today that CBGB's, the famous bar in New York that helped spawn punk rock, will be closing on Sunday. Yes kids, those shirts you buy at Hot Topic with 'CBGB' actually means something to people, and it isn't just a cool shirt to wear so people think you know anything about music. I think my younger sister has one of them...

Anyway, it's a damn shame that it has to close it's doors after being such an integral part in making the careers of so many iconic bands. According to the article, it was some landlord/tenant dispute, and that was all the explanation there was. CBGB's was rather small and would have a hard time holding the crowds that even smaller groups can generate, but there was still that nostalgic sense that it created. I've never actually been there, but just imagine your band playing there. Standing on the same stage as the Ramones, Blondie, the Talking Heads, etc. If I had to guess, I'd say it would have felt a bit like arriving on the scene. You're good enough to play at this venue of legends and where you go from here is completely dependent on that show. I know there's much more to it than just playing one good show and then, BOOM, stardom, but I'm an idealist. A romantic. At times a bit of a fool. But damn, that would have been cool to play there. Hell, I just wanted to see it.

But that's how things go. Always changing, evolving. It would be so much easier if we could go back to yesterday (or however far back you want to go) when things weren't so complicated and somehow it all made sense.

On a completely different topic, I would hate to see a kid walking around in this on Halloween.




(S)He would get so much shit for it. And yes, the pun was intended.

No comments: